A lovely layered dessert of chocolate, custard, & cinnamon cream by Jansen Chan of Oceana Restaurant in NYC.
Yield: 48 servings
3 lb, 9 oz/1.6 kg unsalted butter, softened
3 lb, 9 oz/1.6 kg granulated sugar
3 lb, 9 oz/1.6 kg eggs
3 lb, 3 oz/1.44 kg Valrhona bittersweet chocolate (70%), melted
14.1 oz/400 g all-purpose flour
1.13 oz/32 g salt
Cream together butter and sugar. Slowly add eggs and melted chocolate. Add flour and salt. Spread batter onto 4 sheetpans (1668 g batter per pan). Bake in convection oven at 300°F/149°C for 12 minutes. Cool and freeze.
Chocolate pot de crème:
5 qt/4.7 lt milk
17.6 oz/500 g granulated sugar
2 lb, 10 oz/1.2 kg Valrhona bittersweet chocolate 70%, melted
60 egg yolks
1. In saucepan, combine milk and sugar and bring to boil. Pour over chocolate; let stand 5 minutes, then stir as a ganache. Chill over ice bath.
2. Whisk in yolks and strain. Pour into 4 half sheetpans and bake at 200°F/93°C until set. Freeze.
Roasted cinnamon cream:
4.2 oz/120 g cinnamon sticks
3 qt/2.8 lt heavy cream
8.4 oz/240 g granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
5 sheets gelatin, bloomed
1. Roast cinnamon sticks in a conventional oven at 350°F/176°C for 10 minutes.
2. In saucepan, combine cream, sugar and salt and bring to boil. Add cinnamon and drained gelatin. Hand blend to break up cinnamon. Cover and infuse for at least 30 minutes. Strain and reserve overnight, covered.
2 qt/1.9 lt water
11.3 oz/320 g granulated sugar
Peel of 4 lemons
2 tsp salt
1 liq oz/30 ml instant espresso
1. In saucepan, combine water, sugar, lemon and salt and bring to a boil. Add espresso and stir to combine. Pour into half-hotel pan and freeze.
2. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before scraping.
38.8 oz/1.1 kg granulated sugar
24.7 oz/700 g water
1 qt/946 ml heavy cream
17.6 oz/500 g cocoa powder
In saucepan, combine sugar and water and cook to 230°F/110°C. Add cream, then cocoa powder. Stir and return to boil. Reduce slightly, then strain and cool over ice bath immediately.
Chocolate espresso dust:
17.6 oz/500 g vanilla sablé scraps
.35 oz/10 g instant espresso
½ tsp salt
3.5 oz/100 g cocoa
Bake scraps at 300°F/149°C until golden brown. Grind in food processor with remaining ingredients. Spread on sheetpan to dry.
Bittersweet chocolate, tempered
1. Using square mold, cut frozen brownie and pot de crème into portions.
2. Pour chocolate onto acetate sheet and cut with same square mold and a 0.8"/2 cm circle for each portion. Garnish chocolate circle with gold leaf.
3. Whip cinnamon cream.
4. Decorate plate with 3 lines of chocolate sauce. Arrange defrosted brownie at a 45° angle to lines. Parallel to brownie, sprinkle a line of chocolate espresso dust. Top brownie with a layer of cinnamon cream, then a layer of espresso granite and top with a chocolate decoration.