Hazelnuts provide a warm and flavorful twist in this involved Napoleon recipe.
Yield 36 individual cakes
2.1 oz/60 g Felchlin Maracaibo 65% chocolate, melted
8.46 oz/240 g praline paste (1:1 sugar to nut ratio)
4.2 oz/120 g fueilletine
In a bowl, mix the melted dark chocolate with the praline paste, then fold in the fueilletine. Spread the mixture onto a silicone baking mat in a 12" x 16" frame to a thickness of 3 mm and freeze.
7 oz/200 g confectioners’ sugar
7 oz/200 g hazelnut flour
8.8 oz/250 g egg whites
0.07 oz/2 g cream of tarter
2.1 oz/60 g granulated sugar, divided
3.5 oz/100 g crushed hazelnuts
In a bowl, sift together the confectioners’ sugar and hazelnut flour; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites with the cream of tarter and 30gr of the granulated sugar. Then add the remaining 1 oz/30 g of sugar and whip until stiff.
Fold the hazelnut flour/confectioners’ sugar mixture delicately into the whites. On a silicone baking mat, spread the mixture to 1 cm thickness in a 12" x 16" frame. Remove the frame and sprinkle with the crushed hazelnuts. Dust with powdered sugar bake, let sit 5 minutes and dust again with powdered sugar. Bake at 340°F/170°C in a convection oven for 20 minutes. Let cool.
19.4 oz/550 g heavy cream
4.2 oz/120 g egg yolks
2.1 oz/60 g granulated sugar
14.1 oz/400 g Felchlin Maracaibo 65% chocolate, chopped
1. In a saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a boil.
2. Whisk the egg yolks with the granulated sugar until light. Pour 1/3 of the cream over the yolks then pour everything back into the saucepan. Cook to 185°F/85°C until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Strain the yolk mixture through a fine sieve onto the chopped chocolate. Mix gently until smooth.
Milk chocolate Chantilly:
17.6 oz/500 g heavy cream
8.8 oz/250 g Felchline Maracaibo Criolait 38% milk chocolate, chopped
1. In a saucepan, bring the cream to a boil, then pour it over the milk chocolate. Stir gently until smooth, then refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
2. In an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the chilled cream to medium peaks.
Dark chocolate ribbon
1. In the frame containing the smooth Praline Crunch, spread a thin layer of the chocolate cream on top, then place the hazelnut dacquoise on top. Pour the chocolate cream over the entire surface of the frame. Tap lightly until smooth and level. Freeze at minus 75°F/24°C or below.
2. When set, remove from frame, trim edges and cut into 3 cm x 9.5 cm rectangles.
3. Temper the milk chocolate, then spread to 3mm thickness on an acetate sheet. Allow to crystallize then cut into 3cm x 9.5cm rectangles.
4. Place milk chocolate rectangles on each cake, then pipe milk Chantilly peaks on top using a pastry bag with round tip. Lay another milk chocolate rectangle on top and decorate with a swirl of milk chocolate Chantilly cream and a dark chocolate ribbon garnished with gold leaf.