A beautiful chocolate tart shell, filled with caramel & chocolate ganache & plated with creamy brown butter ice cream by Rachael Burns of Noble’s Restaurants and Noble’s Bakery in Charlotte.
Yield: 32 servings
Caramel for ice cream:
1.5 lb/680 g granulated sugar
6 oz/170 g water
12 oz/340 g heavy cream
1 Tbs plus 1 tsp salt
In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook to a dark caramel. Whisk in the heavy cream and salt. Set aside.
Brown butter ice cream:
30 oz/850 g unsalted butter
2 qt/1.9 lt heavy cream
2 qt/1.9 lt milk
2 lb/907 g granulated sugar, divided
2 tsp salt
20 oz/567 g egg yolks
1. Melt and then brown butter. Cool to 100°F.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the cream, milk, 1 lb/454 g of the sugar and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the Caramel (from above) and return to the boil.
3. Meanwhile, in an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the yolks and 1 lb/454 g of the sugar to the ribbon stage. Slowly add the butter. Once cream has reached a boil, temper into the yolk mixture. Return mixture to the stove, and with a rubber spatula, stir constantly over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens and coats the spatula. Strain and cool before processing.
Chocolate tart dough:
2 lb/907 g unsalted butter, softened
35.27 oz/1 kg granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
34.14 oz/968 g all-purpose flour
4.2 oz/119 g cocoa powder
1. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until blended.
2. Sift together the flour and cocoa powder and add to butter mixture at low speed. Portion into discs, wrap and chill.
3. Roll dough out and line tart rings with it. Blind bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, then remove weights and bake for another 10 minutes. Cool.
Caramel for tart:
28.2 oz/800 g granulated sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 pt/480 ml water
1 pt/480 ml heavy cream
1. Cook the sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan until dark amber. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream.
2. Pour 1 oz Caramel in each tartlet shell. Allow to set.
2 lb/907 g 55% dark chocolate, chopped
1 qt/960 ml heavy cream
1. Place the chocolate in a bowl. Bring the cream to a boil and pour over the chocolate. Whisk until smooth.
2. Top off each tartlet with ganache and sprinkle with sea salt.
Serve each tartlet with a quenelle of Brown Butter Ice Cream.