Chocolate cake, milk chocolate panna cotta, & Gianduja chocolate mousse by Antonio Bachour of Solea Restaurant in Miami Beach.
Yield: 24 servings
8 oz/227 g bittersweet chocolate
8 oz/227 g unsalted butter
3.5 oz/100 g granulated sugar
1.3 oz/36 g all-purpose flour
1. Melt the chocolate and butter together. Cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the yolks and eggs, then whisk in sugar. Whisk this into the chocolate mixture, then whisk in the flour. Fill foil tins with the batter and bake immediately in a preheated 325° F oven for 5-6 minutes.
Milk chocolate panna cotta:
24 oz/680 g heavy cream
6.5 oz/184 g granulated sugar
10 oz/283 g milk chocolate
5 sheets gelatin (silver grade)
1. Place the heavy cream and sugar in a small, heavy saucepan and bring to boil.
2. Put the gelatin in ice water and let stand for 5 minutes to soften. Add the milk chocolate to the hot mixture and whisk until smooth. Remove from the heat and add the gelatin, stirring to dissolve; let cool slightly.
3. Pour the cream mixture into ramekins, dividing it equally. Cover and refrigerate until set.
Gianduja chocolate mousse:
8 oz/227 g milk
13 oz/369 g gianduja, chopped
4 sheets gelatin (silver grade), bloomed
17.5 oz/496 g heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
1. Place the milk in a small, heavy saucepan and bring to boil. Pour the hot milk over the gianduja and whisk until smooth. Add the gelatin and whisk well.
2. Fold in the whipped cream.
White chocolate mousse:
1 pt/473 ml heavy cream, divided
1 lb/454 g white chocolate, chopped
1. Place half the heavy cream in a small, heavy saucepan and bring to boil. Pour the hot cream over the white chocolate and whisk until smooth.
2. Whip the remaining heavy cream and fold in the white chocolate mixture.
Gianduja dark chocolate truffle bar:
1 pt/473 g heavy cream
24 oz/680 g gianduja chocolate
8 oz/227 g dark chocolate
1. Place the heavy cream in a saucepan and bring to boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Put the mixture in Fleximolds and refrigerate for about 4 hours.
White chocolate sorbet:
24 liq oz/711 ml milk
10.4 liq oz/307 ml water
1.8 oz/50 g granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 lb/454 g white chocolate, chopped
1. Place milk, water, sugar and vanilla bean in a saucepan and bring to boil. Pour over white chocolate and whisk until smooth. Strain, then chill.
2. Spin in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
1 cup mascarpone cheese
1 oz/28 g confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 liq oz/60 ml heavy cream
1. In an electric mixer, using the whisk attachment, whip the mascarpone cheese with the sifted confectioners’ sugar on medium speed until it begins to stiffen. (Do not overwhip, or it will become hard.)
2. In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream to medium peaks and fold into the mascarpone mixture. Reserve in refrigerator until ready to use.
Gold leaf and chocolate decorations
White chocolate powder
1. On a long plate, brush liquid chocolate lengthwise, maintaining a clean brush stroke.
2. In the center of the chocolate brush stroke, place a shot glass of mousse equally spaced on both sides with chocolate, and top with a white chocolate circle garnish.
3. Unmold the milk chocolate panna cotta by running a knife around the mold to separate it from the container. Place the panna cotta to the left of the mousse glass.
4. Pipe white chocolate mousse on top of the panna cotta. Then place a dark chocolate square garnish on top to appear like a diamond.
5. Place the chocolate cake to the left of the panna cotta, yet still on the chocolate brush stroke.
6. Put white chocolate shavings on top of the cake to stabilize a small quenelle of Marscapone Mousse. Garnish with a chocolate ring vertically with a white chocolate cigarette through it.
7. Place 2 ganache bars to the right of the mousse glass, one flat and one propped against it at an angle, with gold leaf on top.
8. Put 1 tsp of white chocolate powder on the far right, yet still on the chocolate brush stroke. Atop this put a medium quenelle of white chocolate sorbet with a dark chocolate cigarette at an angle on top.