This recipe features a salted banana ganache by Anna Polyviou of Shangri-la in Sydney, Austrailia.
“We use the Tiger Sphere mold pattern created by Kirsten Tibballs at Melbourne’s Savour Chocolate & Patisserie School. So I’ve put my filling twist to it and call it PoPpiNg NuTs AbOuT BaNanaS!”
- 3.5 oz/100 g superfine granulated sugar
- 1 oz/30 g water
- 1.7 oz/50 g popcorn
- Grapeseed oil, as needed
1. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a golden caramel color. Remove from the heat; add the popcorn, stirring until coated evenly.
2. Spread onto a silpat mat and allow to cool.
Nutty Popcorn Crunch:
- 3.5 oz/100 g dark chocolate
- 1.7 oz/50 g milk chocolate
- 3.5 oz/100 g Caramel Popcorn, roughly chopped (recipe above)
- 1.7 oz/50 g roasted almonds, roughly chopped
Melt both chocolates together to 35°C, fold in the chopped almonds and popcorn until evenly coated.
Coconut and Malibu Caramel:
- 17.6 oz/500 g superfine granulated sugar
- 3.4 liq oz/100 ml Malibu
- 6 liq oz/175 ml coconut cream, warm
Make a dry caramel that is a golden blond color. Add the Malibu and coconut cream; once combined remove from heat.
Salted Banana Ganache:
- 5 oz/140 g superfine granulated sugar
- 2.4 oz/70 g glucose
- 17.6 oz/500 g banana puree, warm
- 19.4 oz/550 g 40% milk chocolate
- 17 oz/480 g 72% dark chocolate
- 0.7 oz/20 g sea salt
1. Make a dry caramel with the sugar and glucose. Once the caramel has become a golden color, add the warm puree; once combined, remove from heat.
2. Pour over both chocolates and blend together until emulsified. Allow the ganache to cool before using.
The layers of the chocolate:
1. Nutty popcorn crunch
2. Coconut Malibu caramel
3. Salted banana ganache