Vanilla beans gelato, cherry sorbet, pistachio sponge, sablè cookie dough and white chocolate spray by Mario Bacherini, Pastry Chef/Technician of Paris Gourmet in Carlstadt, NJ.
Yield: 20 individual cakes
- Vanilla beans gelato
- Cherry Morello sorbet
- Pistachio sponge
- Sablé cookie dough
- White chocolate spray colored Red
- IQF Cherries
- Dehydrated Cherries Chips
Vanilla Beans Gelato:
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2.2 lb/1 kg milk
- 1.4 oz/40 g skim milk powder
- 1 oz/30 g dextrose powder
- 7 oz/200 g granulated sugar
- 1.76 oz/50 g of Gelpan Cold 50
- 4.2 oz/120 g heavy cream
- 1.4 oz/40 g Gelatech Vanilla Paste
1. Scrape vanilla beans inside the milk and let infuse overnight in the refrigerator.
2. The following day, heat the milk with the vanilla bean and the skim milk powder to 104°F and add the dextrose and the sugar, stirring to dissolve. Heat to 122°F and add the Gelpan Cold 50. Bring everything to 180°F and, as you constantly stir with a whisk, add the heavy cream. Strain and fast-chill everything down to 39°F. Allow the base to rest a minimum of 5 hours, then add the vanilla paste right before spinning.
- 13 oz/369 g water
- 7.4 oz/210 g granulated sugar
- 0.1 oz/3 g Cremodan 64 stabilizer
- 1.16 oz/33 g dextrose
- 1.76 oz/50 g crystal glucose
- 2.2 lb/1 kg Morello cherry purée with 10% sugar
- IQF cherries, diced, to taste
1. In saucepan, combine water and sugar and heat to 113°F, then add the stabilizer mixed with dextrose and crystal glucose and heat to 179°F. Fast-chill to 39°F and allow to set for at least 6 hours.
2. Add the cherry purée to the mixture, then batch-freeze to 15.8°F and mix with the IQF cherries.
- 5.8 oz/165 g egg whites
- 0.88 oz/25 g granulated sugar
- 6.6 oz/188 g confectioners’ sugar
- 6.3 oz/180 g pistachio flour
- 1.76 oz/50 g all-purpose flour
- 8.8 oz/250 g egg yolks
- 1.4 oz/40 g pistachio paste
1. Whip the egg whites to until they begin to form peaks, then gradually add the sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.
2. Combine the dry ingredients, add the yolks and fold in the whipped egg whites, then the pistachio paste. Weigh 19.4 oz/550 g per half sheet pan that has been lined with Silpat, then bake at 320°F for about 6 minutes.
Sablè Cookie Dough:
- 2.1 oz/60 g almond flour
- 16.5 oz/470 g cake flour
- 8.4 oz/240 g Beurremont unsalted butter
- 0.14 oz/4 g salt
- 6.3 oz/180 g confectioners’ sugar (10X)
- 3.5 oz/100 g whole eggs
1. Sift together the almond flour and cake flour and set aside.
2. Cream together the butter, salt and confectioners’ sugar. Reduce the speed and add the eggs, then the sifted dry ingredients. Roll and cut into desired shape. Bake at 320°F for about 12 minutes.
White Chocolate Spray:
- 7 oz/200 g Noel white chocolate
- 3.5 oz/100 g cocoa powder
- Oil-soluble red coloring, as needed
Melt chocolate and cocoa butter together and immersion blend with the red coloring until you get the desired shade of red. Spray at 104°F over frozen gelato cake.
Assembly of cake:
- Crystal glaze
- Dehydrated Cherries Chips
- Green-colored white chocolate discs
1. Fill a pvc tube with the Morello Cherry Sorbet and allow to freeze. That will be an insert for the final cake.
2. Fill the desired individual mold shape (such as the “infinity” mold from Silkomart) with Vanilla Gelato and top the bottom with a rectangle of Pistachio Sponge. Freeze for at least 2 hours and unmold completely, then spray with the red chocolate spray until you get a velvety effect on the gelato.
3. Take a rectangle of baked sablè cookie and, using a brush and some crystal glaze, attach the dehydrated cherries on each side. Place the sprayed velvet cake on top of the sablè. Finish the decoration with green colored white chocolate discs. For a perfect tasting temperature, serve frozen at no lower then 17°F.