Alunga milk chocolate ice cream, apple pie moonshine jelly, cinnamon crumble, moonshine gel and caramelized apples by Romain Lenoir, Executive Pastry Chef of Intercontinental Hotel in Los Angeles, CA.
Yield: 12 servings
Alunga Milk Chocolate Ice Cream:
- 20.4 oz/580 g whole milk
- 5 oz/142 g heavy cream
- 0.63 oz/18 g inverted sugar
- 0.42 oz/12 g non-fat milk powder
- 0.17 oz/5 g ice cream stabilizer
- 0.63 oz/18 g glucose powder
- 1 oz/30 g granulated sugar
- 7 oz/200 g Alunga milk chocolate 41%
1. Heat the milk, cream and inverted sugar to 185°F (85°C). At 122°F (50°C), add the non-fat milk powder, stabilizer, glucose powder and sugar together. At 158°F (70°C), add the Alunga chocolate. Finish cooking at 185°F (85°C), strain with chinois and let it cool in ice water bath. Reserve in refrigerator for 12 hours.
2. Spin in the ice cream machine
Apple Pie Moonshine Jelly:
- 3 organic Pink Lady apples
- Lemon juice, as needed
- 4 gelatin sheets (gold)
- 2.1 oz/60 g brown sugar
- 5.6 oz/160 g hard cider
- 1.6 oz/45 g American Born Apple Pie Moonshine
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
1. Cut the apples in small dice (1/4”) and reserve in some lemon juice.
2. Soak the gelatin in cold water, strain and reserve.
3. Make a caramel with the brown sugar, then add the hard cider and the Moonshine. Add the star anise and the cinnamon and let reduce for 1 minute, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the apple dice and the gelatin. Pour into 8” x 10” frame, reserve in refrigerator, and when set, cut into 2.5” squares.
- 5.3 oz/150 g granulated sugar
- 5.3 oz/150 g all-purpose flour
- 5.3 oz/150 g almond flour
- 5.3 oz/150 g unsalted butter
- 0.28 oz/8 g ground cinnamon
- Copper dust
1. Mix all ingredients together in a stand mixer with the paddle until dough starts to come together. Reserve in refrigerator for 2 hours.
2. Place crumble on sheet pan and bake at 350°F for 12 minutes.
3. Roll the baked crumbs into copper dust
- 7 oz/200 g American Born Apple Pie Moonshine
- 1.76 oz/50 g water
- 1.76 oz/50 g granulated sugar
- 0.09 oz/2.7 g agar agar
1. Bring all ingredients to a boil; reserve in refrigerator until solid.
2. Place the solid jelly into a blender until the gel is at the right consistency.
- 1.76 oz/50 g unsalted butter
- 1 Pink Lady apple, cut into thick slices
Melt the butter in the pan. Add apple slices and cook until caramelized. Reserve.
- Micro cilantro
- Brioche, cut into 3” x ½” sticks, toasted
Place a square of the apple jelly on the plate. Add a quenelle of ice cream. Place 2 slices of Caramelized Apple and one stick of toasted brioche on plate. Add 3 dots of Moonshine Gel on the plate. Finish with some micro cilantro on top of the ice cream.