Cedric Barberet, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2016, presents his Black.
Yield: 20 servings
Flourless Chocolate Sponge:
- 11.9 oz/337 g egg whites
- 8 oz/225 g granulated sugar
- 8 oz/225 g egg yolks
- 4 oz/112 g confectioners’ sugar 10X
- 4 oz/112 g extra brute cacao powder
1. Whip egg whites and sugar to medium-peak meringue. Continue to beat just to stiff peaks, then reduce speed to 2nd speed and add the egg yolks. Fold in the dry ingredients. Scale batter, using 31.7 oz/900 g per lined sheet pan.
2. Bake at 392°F (200°C) for 9 minutes.
Blackberry Guayaquil Mousse:
- 2.2 oz/63 g blackberry puree
- 8.8 oz/250 g whole milk
- 6.6 oz/187 g heavy cream
- 1.76 oz/50 g granulated sugar
- 3.5 oz/100 g egg yolks
- 12.3 oz/350 g Guayaquil chocolate 64%
- 0.35 oz/10 g gelatin sheets (gold), bloomed
- 0.38 oz/11 g blackberry tea leaves
- 17.6 oz/500 g whipped cream
1. In a saucepan, bring blackberry puree, milk, cream and tea leaves to a boil. Pass through a fine-mesh chinois and rescale to 17.6 oz/500 g by adding more cream.
2. Mix yolks and sugar to a light color and temper with the bot liquid. Cook to 185°F (85°C), stirring constantly, then pour over chocolate and drained gelatin.
3. Fold in whipped cream.
Milk Chocolate-Violet Ganache Insert:
- 24 oz/680 g heavy cream
- 3 oz/84 g glucose
- 7.7 oz/220 g LeNotre Plaisir Gianduja
- 24.7 oz/700 g Ghana milk chocolate 41%
- 4.2 oz/120 g unsalted butter
- 0.28 oz/8 g violet essence
1. In a saucepan, bring cream and glucose to a boil. Pour onto chocolate, then add butter and violet essence.
2. Frame into Flexipan mold.
Gelified Blackberry-Violet Punch:
- 0.21 oz/6 g gelatin powder
- 4.7 oz/136 g water
- 4.16 oz/118 g blackberry puree
- 12.3 oz/350 g simple syrup
- 2.9 oz/82 g cassis liqueur
- 3.7 oz/106 g water
Hydrate gelatin with 1 oz/30 g of the water. Melt, then add puree, syrup, cassis and remaining 3.7 oz/106 g water; mix well. Pour into shallow container and chill until set.
Dark Mirror Glaze:
- 6.6 oz/187 g water
- 13.2 oz/375 g granulated sugar
- 13.2 oz/375 g glucose
- 8.8 oz/250 g condensed milk
- 10.5 oz/300 g gelatin mass*
- 13.2 oz/375 g Guayaquil chocolate 64%
*Note: Gelatin mass is 3.5 oz/100 g gelatin powder (200 bloom) with 21 oz/600 g water
1. Cook water, sugar and glucose to 217°F (103°C). Pour over condensed milk, gelatin mass and chocolate and mix with immersion blender, without adding air. Rest overnight in cooler.
2. When ready to use, melt to 104°F (40°C). (You can add back powder colorant to intensify the depth of the dark color.)
Blackberry Violet Ganache:
- 17.6 oz/500 g blackberry puree
- 19.4 oz/550 g Zephir white chocolate
- 0.14 oz/4 g violet essence
Bring puree to a boil; pour over chocolate and mix with immersion blender until smooth. Mix in violet essence. Reserve in cooler overnight before using.
Black Macaron Shell (yields 125 shells):
- 8.8 oz/250 g blanched almond flour
- 8.8 oz/250 g confectioners’ sugar 10X
- 6.6 oz/188 g egg whites, room temperature, divided
- 8.8 oz/250 g granulated sugar
- 2.3 oz/65 g water
- 0.03 oz/1 g purple food coloring
- 0.017 oz/0.5 g red food coloring
1. Combine almond flour and confectioners’ sugar in food processor. Add 3.3 oz/94 g of the egg whites and mix to form a paste.
2. Meanwhile, cook granulated sugar and water to 244°F (118°C); when sugar reaches 224°F (107°C), add colorant and start mixing remaining 3.3 oz/94 g egg whites for meringue. Pour sugar syrup over the medium-peak meringue when it reaches 244°F (118°C). Continue to cool down to 113°F (45°C). Fold in almond flour mixture until you have the correct consistency (maximum of 20 folds). Pipe onto silicone lined sheet pan and bake in convection oven at 290°F (143°C) for 9 minutes.
3. Sandwich macaron shells with ganache.
1. Place round of Flourless Chocolate Sponge in bottom of 3” ring mold. Half fill mold with Blackberry Chocolate Mousse. Place 1” round of sponge, topped with 1” round of Milk Chocolate-Violet Ganache in center of mold. Fill mold with more mousse. Freeze until set.
2. Unmold and glaze with Dark Mirror Glaze. Garnish with Blackberry Violet Macaron and cubes of Gelified Blackberry-Violet Punch.