Caramelized banana beignets, smoked Hawaiian bamboo salt peanut ganache; candied double-smoked bacon, banana and peanut praline ice cream, garnished with charcoal smoked salt opaline.
Yield: 8 servings
- 2.1 oz/60 g confectioners’ sugar
- 0.35 oz/10 g ground cinnamon
- 0.88 oz/25 g smoked Hawaiian bamboo salt
- 0.7 oz/20 g granulated sugar
Combine all ingredients and set aside.
- 6.3 oz/180 g pastry flour
- 0.35 oz/10 g baking powder
- 0.14 oz/4 g ground cinnamon
- 6.6 oz/187 g granulated sugar
- 0.14 oz/4 g salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4.5 liq oz/135 ml milk
- 2.5 oz/70 g banana puree
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, granulated sugar and salt.
2. In another bowl, whisk the egg, egg yolk, milk and banana puree. Mix the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Whisk until the mixture just moistened.
3. Scoop mixture using a mini ice cream scoop and carefully deposit it into a deep fryer that has been heated to 325°F. Fry until golden brown. Place each beignet onto a paper towel to absorb any extra oil and then roll into the dusting mixture.
Candied Double Smoked Bacon with Maple:
- 17 liq oz/500 ml maple syrup
- 20 double-smoked bacon slices
1. Bring the maple syrup to a boil. Place the bacon into the boiled maple syrup. Simmer it until the maple syrup become thick and reaches caramel stage. Place the bacon onto baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake at 300°F for 7 minutes. Cool completely.
2. Store it in airtight container until ready to use.
- 9 oz/255 g whole peanuts, unsalted and blanched
- 2.2 oz/63 g dark brown sugar
- 0.42 oz/12 g Maldon sea salt
- 0.95 oz/27 g egg whites
1. Coat peanuts with a mixture of brown sugar, salt and egg whites. Deposit onto a Silpat-lined sheet pan in an even layer. Bake in 350° F oven until bubbling. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
2. Once cool, break the praline into small pieces. Chop and crush some peanuts into tiny pieces. Set it aside to use for lining the ice cream on the plate.
Banana and Peanut Praline Ice Cream:
- 10 large egg yolks
- 12.3 oz/350 g granulated sugar
- 33.8 liq oz/1 lt milk, 3.25% fat content
- 0.35 oz/10 g Maldon sea salt
- 2 vanilla beans
- 6 oz/168 g banana puree
- ½ tsp citric acid
- Chopped Peanut Praline (from above)
1. Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Whip until thick and light.
2. Scald the milk and gradually beat into the egg mixture. Pour the mixture into the pot that contained the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until it reaches coating stage, 185°F. Cool the mixture over an ice bath. Refrigerate when it is well chilled.
3. Process the mixture into an ice cream machine. Add chopped Candied Bacon and Peanut Praline during last few seconds of processing.
Peanut Butter Ganache:
- 8.8 oz/250 g white chocolate
- 2.7 liq oz/80 ml heavy cream 35%
- 3.3 oz/95 g peanut butter
- Smoked Hawaiian bamboo salt, to taste
1. Cut pieces of parchment paper to measure 8” x 4 ¾” (20 cm x 12 cm). Line cannoli molds with parchment, letting the parchment extend beyond the end of the mold to make it easy to unmold.
2. Melt the white chocolate to 104°F.
3. Heat the cream to 113°F. In a heatproof bowl, pour the cream over the white chocolate. Cover it with plastic wrap. Let it sit for 2 minutes.
4. Use an immersion blender to process the mixture until smooth. Add the peanut butter and stir again until the mixture is emulsified. Add salt to taste and stir again. Pipe the mixture into the lined molds and store it in the freezer until ready to use. To unmold, pull the ganache out using the parchment paper. Remove the paper.
Smoked Charcoal Salt Opaline:
- 7 oz/200 g Isomalt
- 3.5 oz/100 g glucose
- 4.2 oz/120 g fondant
- 2 liq oz/60 ml water
- 0.35 oz/10 g smoked charcoal salt or Hawaiian volcanic sea salt
1. Combine the Isomalt, glucose, fondant and water in the saucepan. Cook the mixture until it reaches 311°F (155°C). Pour the mixture onto a tray lined with a silicone mat. Cool the mixture until it hardens completely.
2. Break the cooled sugar plaque into small pieces and grind in a food processor.
3. Deposit the mixture evenly through a fine sieve onto the desired template (I used a triangle). Remove the template and then lightly sprinkle smoked charcoal salt onto each individual shape. Bake at 350°F until the mixture becomes transparent. Allow to cool; the baked shapes should still be pliable. Shape as desired.
Liquid Caramel for Compressed Bananas:
- 4.4 oz/125 g granulated sugar
- 1 oz/30 g water
- 0.07 oz/2 g lemon juice
- 4.4 oz/125 g boiling water
Combine the sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring it to the boil until dissolved. Cook to a dark caramel color. Pour the boiling water slowly into the caramel mixture and stir. Return to the heat and stir until all the caramel dissolves. Let cool completely.
Caramel Compressed Bananas:
- 24 banana slices
- 5 liq oz/150 ml Liquid Caramel (above)
- 1.3 liq oz/40 ml bourbon
1. Put ingredients into a vacuum seal bag.
2. Use the strongest setting to make it more airtight which will allow the caramel flavor to penetrate into the banana. Marinate the banana at least 1 hour before using it.
Peanut Butter Snow:
- 0.7 oz/20 g confectioners’ sugar
- 1 oz/30 g peanut butter
- 4.2 oz/120 g maltodextrin
- 0.35 oz/10 g smoked charcoal salt
Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until the mixture is well combined and fluffy. Store in airtight container until ready to use.
Palm Sugar Coconut Sauce:
- 9.3 oz/265 g dark Indonesian palm sugar
- 2.5 oz/70 g granulated sugar
- 0.17 liq oz/5 ml lime juice plus zest of 1 lime
- 7.4 liq oz/220 ml coconut milk
1. Shave the palm sugar block.
2. Mix the shaved palm sugar with the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer until the sauce thickens. Cool down until ready to use.
- Hawaiian smoked bamboo salt
- Smoked charcoal salt
- Edible flowers
- Micro sorrel
Remove the ganache from the freezer and unmold it, discarding the parchment paper. Place the ganache lengthwise in the middle of a rectangular stone plate. Sprinkle the ganache with the bamboo salt. Place about 10 pieces of peanut praline on the ganache. Place the Candied Double Smoked Bacon on the ganache. Remove the Compressed Bananas from the vacuum bag and strain the liquid. Place slices on a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Place a slice on each end of the ganache and one on the side. Put some crushed peanut praline on the right side of the plate. Put the banana beignets on each end and centre of the ganache. Put the opaline triangle next to beignets. Sprinkle some Peanut Butter Snow on the dessert. Garnish with some edible flowers and micro sorrel. Spoon Palm Sugar Coconut sauce onto a corner of the plate. Place the Candied Bacon Banana and Peanut Praline Ice Cream on top of the crushed peanut praline. Serve the dessert immediately.