Yield: 14 servings
7.6 oz/215 g European-style unsalted butter
7.6 oz/215 g granulated sugar
3.8 oz/110 g egg yolks
.14 oz/4 g vanilla sea salt
6.5 oz/185 g all-purpose flour, sifted
.63 oz/18 g baking powder, sifted
1. In bowl of electric mixer, using paddle attachment, beat butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until light. Slowly add yolks and sea salt. Add fl our and baking powder. Shape into disk, wrap in plastic, and chill until firm.
2. Roll between 2 half-sheets of parchment and 2 quarter-sheets parchment. Freeze on half-sheetpan and quarter-sheetpan.
3. Remove top layers of parchment and bake at 325°F/163°C in convection oven with high fan or until golden. Cool to room temperature.
Jivara cremeux with pistachios:
8.8 oz/250 g whole milk
1.7 oz/50 g granulated sugar
8.8 oz/250 g heavy cream
3.5 oz/100 g egg yolks
11.28 oz/320 g Valrhona Jivara Lactee Feves, chopped
3.5 oz/100 g Sicilian pistachios
In a small saucepan, bring milk, sugar and cream to a boil. Temper in egg yolks and cook on low heat until mixture comes to 140°F/60°C. Strain mixture over chocolate and emulsify. Add pistachios. Pour over half-sheetpan of Breton crust and refrigerate until firm.
4 oz/115 g heavy cream
3 oz/85 g whole milk
1 oz/30 g unsweetened pistachio paste
6.5 oz/185 g egg whites
8.2 oz/235 g granulated sugar, divided
3.8 oz/110 g egg yolks
1 oz/30 g all-purpose flour
2 leaves gelatin, bloomed
1. In small saucepan, combine cream, milk and pistachio paste and bring to a boil. In mixing bowl, combine yolks, 5.6 oz/160 g sugar and flour. Temper milk mixture into yolk mixture. Add back to pan and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat and add drained gelatin.
2. Make a French meringue with whites and remaining 2.6 oz/75 g sugar. Whip to medium peaks; fold into pistachio base. Spread mixture onto lined quarter-sheetpan. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm.
2 lb, 11 oz/1260 g thinly sliced apricots (about 24 apricots)
8.8 oz/250 g granulated sugar
3 vanilla beans, split and seeded
1. Place a large rondeau over high heat. When hot, add apricots, sugar and vanilla seeds and pod. Cook quickly to keep color and release juices from apricots. When apricots are tender, remove from pan and cool.
2. Refrigerate apricots until ready to use.
10.5 oz/300 g apricot puree
2.4 oz/70 g glucose syrup
3.8 oz/110 g granulated sugar
2.6 oz/75 g water
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and reduce to sauce consistency over medium heat.
2. Chill until ready to use.
3.5 oz/100 g cool simple syrup
.07 oz/2 g sodium citrate
.07 oz/2 g sodium alginate
14.1 oz/400 g apricot puree
1 qt, 1.86 liq oz/1000 ml water
.17 oz/5 g calcium chloride
1. In saucepan, combine simple syrup and sodium citrate with hand blender. Mix in sodium alginate. Bring mixture to a boil; let cool and add to apricot puree; blend again.
2. Make a water bath with cold water and calcium chloride and stir to combine. Drop apricot mixture drop-by-drop into water bath and let stand 30-60 seconds, or until shell forms. Remove pearls from water bath and rinse gently in clean, cool water.
3. Reserve pearls in refrigerator until ready to use.
Whole Sicilian pistachios
1. Spread apricots over Chocolate Cremeux. Cut into 14 bars, each measuring 5" x 2"(12.5 x 5 cm).
2. Cut quarter-sheet of Breton crust into 14 rectangles, each measuring 3 ½" x 2" (8.75 x 5 cm).
3. Remove plastic from Pistachio Chiboust and cut into rectangles measuring 3" x 1 ½" (7.5 x 3.75 cm).
4. Center Pistachio Chiboust rectangles on top of Breton crust rectangles. Reserve in freezer.
5. At service time, bake chiboust at 350°F/176°C (high fan) for 5-6 minutes, or until edges are puffed and lightly browned. Lightly dust with confectioners’ sugar and caramelize with torch. Place atop left side of apricot chocolate stack. Place cup of bubble sugar to right of chiboust and fi ll with Apricot Pearls. Garnish plate with Apricot Sauce and whole Sicilian pistachios.