Yield: 10-12 servings
8 oz/227 g unsalted butter
3 oz/86 g confectioners’ sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp citrus zest (lemon or lime)
8.5 oz/242 g all-purpose flour
¾ tsp salt
1. In bowl of mixer, using paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add lemon juice and zest, then flour and salt; mix until combined.
2. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
3. Roll dough out to ³/16"/0.5 cm thick and dock lightly. Use 3"/7.5 cm round cutter to cut circles from dough. Place on parchment-lined sheetpan 1"/2.5 cm apart and bake at 325°F/163°C until pale.
8 egg yolks
2 liq oz/60 ml simple syrup
5 sheets gelatin, bloomed and drained
10 liq oz/296 ml Key lime juice (chef uses Nellie & Joe’s)
28 liq oz/828 ml sweetened condensed milk
Zest of 2 limes
8 liq oz/236 ml heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
1. In bowl, whisk together yolks and simple syrup over pot of simmering water until mixture is thick and reaches ribbon stage. Whisk in drained gelatin. Whisk in lime juice, condensed milk and zest.
2. Fold in whipped cream and chill until set.
14 oz/397 g blackberries
2.3 oz/66 g granulated sugar
Fresh blackberries, as needed
1. Freeze blackberries. Remove from freezer and toss with sugar to coat. Allow to defrost.
2. Puree berries; strain to remove seeds.
3. Toss fresh berries with puree so that they are generously coated.
Arrange a generous tablespoon of Lime Cream on plate. Cover with puree- coated blackberries. Top with shortbread round and repeat. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Drizzle more sauce on plate.