Yield: 10 servings
Gala apple confit:
21.16 oz/600 g granulated sugar
8 oz/225 g water
6.3 oz/180 g apple cider
6 Gala apples
10.6 oz/300 g glucose
1. Make a dry caramel with the sugar and deglaze with water and cider.
2. Peel, core and quarter apples. Add to caramel and simmer 10-12 minutes until knife tender.
Vanilla panna cotta:
.07 oz/2 g vanilla beans
7 oz/200 g heavy cream
.07 oz/2 g gelatin
1. Cold-infuse vanilla bean and cream overnight.
2. Warm part of the cream and add the gelatin, stirring until dissolved.
3. Add the remaining cold cream.
4. Pour out into a frame and chill until set. Cut into a rectangle.
Granny Smith apple sorbet:
8.4 oz/240 g water
3.1 oz/90 g glucose powder
9.2 oz/262 g granulated sugar
.21 oz/6 g sorbet stabilizer
30.4 oz/864 g fresh Granny Smith apple juice
1.2 oz/36 g lemon juice
1. Make the sorbet base and mature for a minimum of 4 hours.
2. Add the apple and lemon juice and freeze.
Salted butter sablé:
3.8 oz/108 g salted butter
3.1 oz/90 g confectioners’ sugar
3.8 oz/108 g almond flour
6.9 oz/198 g all-purpose flour
2.5 oz/72 g unsalted butter
1. Make the sable dough using the first four ingredients. Roll out and bake off to golden brown.
2. When cool, break into small pieces and add unsalted butter.
3. Roll out dough and bake again. Cut into rectangle that is the same size as the Panna Cotta.
Pedro Ximénez caramel:
7 oz/200 g caramel from Apple Confit
2.6 oz/75 g heavy cream
Pedro Ximenez wine vinegar, to taste
Reduce the caramel and cream together to sauce consistency and flavor with the vinegar to taste.
Place the Vanilla Panna Cotta on to plate. Place the Gala Apple confit on top of the Salted butter sable and then center ontop of the Vanilla Pannacotta. Add Pedro Ximenez Caramel to plate. Top with Granny Smith Apple Sorbet and Granny Smith apple pieces. Decorate.