Chocolate rooibos ice cream, almond cherry streusel, & eggless crème brûlée by Adrian R. Vasquez of Providence Restaurant in Los Angeles.
Yield: 12 servings
Chocolate rooibos ice cream:
3.5 oz/100 g rooibos
4.4 lb/2 kg milk
7 oz/200 g granulated sugar
.42 oz/12 g ice cream stabilizer
6.3 oz/180 g invert sugar
3.17 oz/90 g milk powder
1. Steep rooibos in milk for 5 minutes, strain and add milk back to make 4.4 lb/2 kg.
2. Add sugar and ice cream stabilizer (previously mixed) to rooibos milk along with invert sugar and bring to 185°F/85°C. Place pot in ice bath and add milk powder.
3. When cold, process in ice cream machine.
Almond cherry streusel:
11.6 oz/330 g cubed cold butter
10.6 oz/300 g sugar
8.4 oz/240 g almond flour
.42 oz/12 g salt
12 oz/340 g all-purpose flour
11.6 oz/330 g ground freeze-dried cherry powder
1. Place all ingredients in mixer; and add butter and mix until mealy. Bake at 300°F until golden, chopping with bench scraper frequently.
2. When completely cool, place in large bowl and stir in cherry powder.
10.5 oz/300 g cherry puree
3.5 oz/100 g juice from griottines
0.1 oz/3.2 g agar
1. Bring all ingredients to a boil for one minute then chill.
2. When gelled, put in a blender and puree.
Eggless crème brûlée base:
4.6 lb/2.1 kg cream
26.4 oz/750 g milk
17 oz/480 g sugar
6 scraped vanilla beans
Buzz with handheld blender and strain.
Eggless crème brûlée
2.75 lb/1.25 kg base
0.17 oz/5 g carrageenan Genugel LC-5
0.02 oz/0.6 g low-acyl gellan gum
0.042 oz/1.2 g locust bean gum
Put base in a pot over medium heat and, while whisking, slowly pour in hydrocolloids and bring to a full boil—do not stop whisking. Pour immediately into a 2” half-hotel pan and allow to set.
Ground devil’s food cake crumbs
Place about 1 tablespoon each of Cherry Almond Streusel and dried chocolate crumbs side by side in the center of a plate. With the end of a small spoon, make concentric circles moving outward. Cut the Eggless Créme Brûlée into 7/8” squares and brûlée 3 of them. Place n the outer circle in a equilateral triangle with a small amount of Cherry Agar beside it and a griottine on top of the agar. Scoop ice cream and coat in cake crumbs.