Gluten-Free Peach Pie with Streusel Topping
Gluten-Free Peach Pie with Streusel Topping by James Distefano of Rouge Tomate in New York
Yield: one 9" pie
Gluten-Free Multi-grain Streusel:
8 oz/227 g unsalted butter, diced small and very cold
1.3 oz/38 g millet flour
1.3 oz/38 g amaranth flour
1.3 oz/38 g sorghum flour
1 oz/28 g quinoa flour
1.5 oz/42 g puffed millet
3 oz/86 g flaked quinoa
0.6 oz/19 g flax seed, toasted and ground
0.6 oz/19 g amaranth, toasted and ground
0.6 oz/19 g millet, toasted and ground
3 oz/85 light brown sugar
2 oz/57 g turbinado sugar
0.16 oz/4.8 g sea salt
0.017 oz/0.5 g Madagascar vanilla
0.017 oz/0.5 g Korintje cinnamon
0.21 oz/6 g xanthan gum
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. In a bowl fitted for a large mixer, combine all of the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Attach bowl to the mixer fitted with a paddle. Turn mixer on speed 1 and begin to mix. Add cold butter and continue to mix until the crumb resembles coarse cornmeal. Continue to mix until all of the butter has been blended in. This process should take about 10 minutes. After all of the butter has been cut in, spread streusel between two sheet pans that have been lined with parchment paper. Bake streusel for approximately 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Because the streusel is being added to the pies towards the end of the cooking process, it’s ok to bake it slightly longer with a little more color on it as opposed to using it in its raw state or baking the streusel blond.
2. The streusel can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Gluten-Free Sorghum Pie Dough:
Yield: two 8" pie shells
0.17 oz/5 g salt
5.6 oz/160 g ice water
9 oz/255 g sorghum flour
4.4 oz/125 g millet flour
2.6 oz/75 g amaranth flour
0.5 oz/15 g xanthan gum
10.5 oz/300 g unsalted butter, diced and very cold
0.07 oz/2 g Bourbon vanilla powder
0.1 oz/3 g ground cinnamon
1. Combine all of the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Process ingredients for 30 seconds, just to mix them all together. Add cold, diced butter to the dry ingredients and turn the food processor back on to cut in the butter, mixing about 80% of the way. Add the ice water to the machine while it is running to finish making the dough. The dough should start to pull together towards the bottom of the bowl, while the top remains dry and floury.
2. Remove dough from the bowl of the food processor and place in an airtight container overnight to allow the dough to absorb the water that was previously blended in (it’s important to remember: because we are using flours that are not as refined as a white flour, the hydration time for liquids is going to take longer because more of the whole grain is left intact).
3. Roll dough on a sorghum flour-dusted work surface to approximately ¼” thick. Cut large rounds to fit your pie shells and bake the dough (350°F) blind until it is golden brown in color. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
4. Brush pie shell with a little egg white and place back in the oven to cook the white. The egg white will act as a natural sealant for the dough and prevent the bottom of the pie from getting soggy.
Peach Pie Puree:
17.6 oz/500 g very ripe peaches
0.17 oz/5 g lemon juice
0.88 oz/25 g light brown sugar
0.88 oz/25 g dark brown sugar
0.017 oz/0.5 g fine sea salt
0.014 oz/0.4 g ground cinnamon
0.014 oz/0.4 g ground ginger
0.09 oz/2.5 g pectin
1. Coarsely chop the peaches and place in a medium size pot along with the lemon juice. Stir to combine. Add both sugars and mix once more.
2. Combine salt, spices and pectin. Set aside.
3. Cook peaches until they are very soft and tender and the natural juices in the pot begin to reduce. Continue to cook peaches until liquids are reduced by ¾. Add salt, spices and pectin and cook for 5 minutes making sure to stir to prevent any sticking on the bottom.
4. Puree peaches in a food processer until smooth but with some small pieces remaining. Cool in the refrigerator, then store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Peach Pie Filling:
17.6 oz/500 g very ripe peaches, cut into medium dice
8.8 oz/250 g Peach Puree (above)
0.81 oz/23 g cornstarch
1.3 oz/38 g dark brown sugar
0.02 oz/0.7 g salt
0.26 oz/7.5 g lemon juice
0.021 oz/0.6 g ground cinnamon
0.021 oz/0.6 g vanilla extract
0.021 oz/0.6 g ground ginger
1. Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Distribute filling evenly into par-baked pie shell. Bake pie at 325°F for 20-25 minutes, or until filling begins to firm up.
2. Top pies with gluten free streusel and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove pies from the oven and allow to cool on a glazing rack before serving.