Sacher torte with apricot filling by Manuela Radlherr of Café Central in Vienna.
Makes 20 individual cake slices
- 2.8 oz/80 g semisweet baking chocolate
- 70 g unsalted butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 0.7 oz/20 g confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3.17 oz/90 g superfine sugar
- 2.8 oz/80 g cake flour
1. Preheat oven to 190° C. Melt the chocolate and butter together. Mix the egg yolks with confectioners’ sugar, vanilla sugar and salt. Using an immersion blender, mix in the butter and chocolate.
2. Beat the egg whites with granulated sugar until stiff. Fold the beaten egg whites and
sieved flour into the chocolate mixture. Line a rectangular cake pan (8 ½” x 12”) with parchment paper. Pour the mixture into the tin, smooth with a spatula, and bake at 375°F for about 20 minutes.
- 8.8 oz/250 g milk
- 8.8 oz/250 g heavy cream
- 1.76 oz/50 g superfine sugar
- 5 egg yolks, whisked to blend
- 9.17 oz/260 g dark (70%) chocolate, chopped
Bring the milk to a boil with cream and sugar. Remove from heat, and temper in the egg yolks. Stirring constantly, heat the mixture to 185°F (until it coats the spoon). Pour the hot mixture over the chocolate. Stir until chocolate has dissolved. Cover the cream and chill.
- 10.5 oz/300 g apricots, pitted
- 1.4 oz/40 g almond paste
- 1.4 oz/40 g superfine sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 oz/30 g gelatin mixture*
Simmer the apricots with almond paste, sugar and vanilla-bean pulp until soft. Stir the gelatin into the apricot mixture, and blend until smooth. Spread the filling onto the baked mixture and freeze.
*Note: Gelatin mixture is 20.3 liq oz/600 ml water mixed cold with 3.5 oz/100 g powdered gelatin, bloomed, melted over indirect heat, and chilled for storage.
- 8.8 oz/250 g dark chocolate couverture
- Reduced apricot jam
- Gold leaf
1. Temper the chocolate and spread thinly on waxed paper. When the chocolate has hardened, cut into 4 ½” x 1 ¼” pieces. Cut the chocolate into 20 pieces of the same size.
2. Spread the chocolate cream on the chilled apricot filling and cut the cake into 2 bars, each 4 ½” x 12”. Use a hot knife to separate, cover each with a chocolate rectangle and decorate with a drop of jam and shred of gold leaf.