Carrot cake, cream cheese mousse, cream cheese ice cream, carrot/pineapple fluid gel and compressed pineapple by Daniel Dominquez of The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel in Dana Point, CA.
Yield: 10 servings
- 23.5 oz/666 g grated carrots, half grated normal, half grated thin
- 8 oz/228 g brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 10.5 oz/300 g granulated sugar
- 7.5 oz/215 g vegetable oil
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- 13 oz/370 g all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp salt
- 8 oz/226 g fresh pineapple, diced
1. Combine carrots and brown sugar. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
2. Strain liquid from carrots, squeezing out excess. Reduce liquid by half. Strain and set aside to cool.
3. Mix eggs until light and fluffy. Slowly add sugar and continue whipping to thick ribbon. Slowly add oil, carrot liquid, and vanilla and whip to incorporate.
4. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and pulse mixer to incorporate slightly. Add carrot and pineapple and mix until totally incorporated, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl well. Pour into a hotel pan (200) and bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes. Cool cake on rack for 20 minutes, then unmold and cool completely.
Cream Cheese Mousse:
- 24 oz/680 g cream cheese, room temperature
- 8.4 oz/240 g confectioners’ sugar
- 21.86 oz/620 g heavy cream
- 1 Tbs plus 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Cream the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth and fluffy.
2. Whip the cream and vanilla to soft peaks. Fold the mixtures together.
Cream Cheese Ice Cream:
- 6.6 lb/3 kg water
- 41 oz/1160 g granulated sugar
- 11.28 oz/320 g powdered glucose
- 0.5 oz/16 g stabilizer
- 5 oz/140 g lemon juice
- 4.4 lb/2 kg cream cheese
1. Heat water, sugar, powdered glucose and stabilizer together. Add cream cheese and lemon juice. Mix with immersion blender while hot.
2. Strain and spin in ice cream machine (on 6).
Carrot/Pineapple Fluid Gel:
- 2.2 lb/1 kg carrot/pineapple juice
- 7 oz/200 g granulated sugar
- 0.35 oz/10 g agar agar
Simmer each juice (separately) with sugar. Add agar agar and cook until thick. Allow to set overnight.
- Pineapples cut lengthwise into ¼” thick slices on slicer
- Bliss maple syrup
Put 1 slice of pineapple in Cryovac bag, add maple syrup and vacuum. Cut into pieces for plating.
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Fried carrot strings
- Micro Bull’s Blood beets
Pipe cream cheese mousse on plate. Add 4 pieces of carrot cake on top of mousse. Add compressed pineapple pieces. Add toasted coconut flakes on top. Add Carrot and Pineapple Fluid Gel to plate and top cake with fried carrot strings. Garnish with micro Bull’s Blood beets and finish with ice cream.