Milk chocolate mousse, chocolate agar film and red velvet cake by Genevieve Meli, Pastry Chef of Davio’s Northern Italian Steakhouse in New York, NY.
Yield: 9 servings
Milk Chocolate Mousse:
- 16.1 oz/457 g heavy cream
- 8 oz/228 g milk
- 11 oz/310 g Valrhona Jivara milk chocolate
- 0.17 oz/5 g gelatin leaves, bloomed in ice water
1. Whip heavy cream to soft-medium peaks.
2. Bring milk to a boil and pour over chocolate; mix until emulsified. Cool to 89°F and then fold in whipped cream. Pour into tube molds and freeze.
Chocolate Agar Film:
- 10.5 oz/300 g water
- 1 oz/30 g black cocoa powder
- 0.5 oz/14 g granulated sugar
- 0.07 oz/2 g agar agar
- 24k gold leaf
1. Boil water. Add cocoa powder and mix and return to a boil.
2. Combine sugar and agar agar and add to water mixture. Whisk for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to 149°F.
3. Unmold frozen mousse tubes and dip in film. Garnish with 24k gold leaf. Set aside.
Red Velvet Cake:
- 6 oz/170 g unsalted butter
- 7.7 oz/220 g granulated sugar
- 5.3 oz/150 g eggs
- 2 oz/57 g baking soda
- 2 oz/57 g apple cider vinegar
- 3.5 oz/100 g cocoa powder
- 13.2 oz/375 g cake flour
- 0.07 oz/2 g salt
- 7 oz/200 g beet juice
- 12 oz/340 g buttermilk
- 0.17 oz/5 g vanilla extract
1. Cream butter and sugar with a paddle attachment. Add eggs.
2. Scale out the baking soda and the apple cider vinegar in separate containers and set aside.
3. Sift the cocoa powder, cake flour and salt together.
4. Combine the beet juice, buttermilk and vanilla together. Alternate the dry and wet ingredients until everything is combined and smooth. Mix the baking soda and the vinegar together and add to the batter. Pour into a half hotel pan and bake at 350°F for 70 minutes. Let cool and pull apart into chunks.
- Chocolate garnish
- Fresh cherries, pitted and sliced
- Pea tendrils
Place the chocolate garnish on the right middle of the plate. Place pieces of red velvet cake on the chocolate towards the middle of the garnish. Arrange 3 Chocolate Mousse tubes on the lower right of the cake and two more tubes on the upper left hand side of the cake. Garnish the plate with fresh sliced cherries, gold leaf and pea tendrils.