Flourless chocolate sponge cake, pâte à cornet, joconde and chocolate orange mousse by Biagio Settepani, Pastry Chef and Master Baker.
Yield: one 8” cake
Flourless Chocolate Sponge Cake:
- 4.9 oz/140 g egg yolks
- 7.5 oz/215 g granulated sugar, divided
- 6 oz/170 g egg whites
- 1.9 oz/55 g cocoa powder
1. Mix the egg yolks and 4.5/130 g of the sugar together.
2. Whisk the egg whites and the remaining 3 oz/85 g of the sugar to stiff peaks. Fold the meringue into the yolk mixture. Add the cocoa powder and mix well. Spread the batter onto a parchment lined sheet pan and bake at 445°F for 6 to 8 minutes.
Pâte à Cornet:
- 3.5 oz/100 g unsalted butter, melted
- 3.5 oz/100 g confectioners’ sugar
- 3.5 oz/100 g egg whites, at room temperature
- 3.5 oz/100 g all-purpose flour
1. Mix all the ingredients together. (For colored pate a cornet, add food coloring.)
2. To make the decoration, spread the Pâte à Cornet on a studded Flexipan. Remove excess Pâte à Cornet by using a plastic scraper, then freeze for 1 hour.
- 10.5 oz/300 g almond flour
- 10.5 oz/300 g confectioners’ sugar
- 2.7 oz/80 g cake flour
- 15.16 oz/430 g whole eggs, divided
- 2.1 oz/60 g unsalted butter, melted
- 9.3 oz/265 g egg whites
- 1.4 oz/40 g granulated sugar
1. Sift the almond flour, confectioners’ sugar and cake flour together into a bowl. Add 6.7 oz/190 g of the whole eggs and combine. Add the remaining 8.4 oz/240 g whole eggs and mix well. Add melted butter and mix well.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites and sugar to stiff peaks. Fold the meringue into the egg mixture. Spread Joconde mixture over frozen Pâte à Cornet to the lip of the Flexipan. Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes. Let cool and unmold.
Chocolate Orange Mousse:
- 0.35 oz/10 g gelatin sheets, bloomed
- 7.4 oz/210 g milk chocolate
- 12.3 oz/350 g pastry cream, warm
- 44.1 oz/1250 g lightly whipped cream
- 1.7 oz/50 g orange concentrate
For the mousse, place the bloomed gelatin sheets and milk chocolate in a bowl, then pour warm pastry cream over them. Whisk until smooth. Cool down to 122°F, then fold in the lightly whipped cream. Add the orange concentrate and continue to fold.
- Chocolate spray (50% chocolate, 50% cocoa butter)
- Neutral Glaze
- Candied orange pieces
1. Line two 8” cake rings with the decorated Joconde. Place one layer of Flourless Chocolate Sponge Cake on the bottom of the cake rings. Fill the ring halfway with Chocolate Orange Mousse.
2. Arrange another layer of Flourless Chocolate Sponge Cake over the previous layer. Fill the ring to the top with Chocolate Orange Mousse. Smooth out with a spatula and freeze for 2 hours.
3. Spray the top of the cake with chocolate spray then glaze the top with a neutral glaze. Decorate with candied orange pieces.