Vanilla sponge cake, lightened pastry cream and spun sugar by Biagio Settepani, Pastry Chef and Master Baker.
Yield: two 8” domes
Vanilla Sponge Cake:
- 30 oz/850 g whole eggs
- 15.4 oz/437 g egg yolks
- 24 oz/680 g granulated sugar
- 24 oz/680 g cake flour, sifted
- 1 oz/28 g Nielsen Massey vanilla extract
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the whole eggs, egg yolks and sugar together to ribbon stage.
2. Fold the sifted cake flour and vanilla extract into the mixture. Pour the batter into lined sheet pans and bake at 350°F for 18 to 20 minutes.
3. Cut out six thin 8” rounds and cut the remaining sponge into small, perfectly shaped cubes.
Lightened Pastry Cream:
- 8.8 oz/250 g whipped cream
- 17.6 oz/500 g pastry cream
Fold the whipped cream into the pastry cream.
- 8 oz/227 g granulated sugar
- Yellow food coloring
Cook the sugar to a light caramel and add yellow food coloring. Drizzle the caramel over oiled metal bars. Let cool and shape as needed.
- Pineapple cubes
- Whipped cream
- Confectioners’ sugar
1. Spread some of the Lightened Pastry Cream on the bottom of two 8” sphere molds. Add a thin layer of vanilla sponge cake. Add about ½” layer of Lightened Pastry Cream. Add a layer of pineapple cubes. Repeat layering, and then add one more thin layer of vanilla sponge cake. Freeze cake for 2 hours.
2. Dip each sphere in a bowl filled with cold water for 30 seconds. Using your cupped hand, press down on one spot on the edge of the cake to release it from the mold. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream around the cake. Attach vanilla sponge cake cubes over the cake and decorate with confectioners’ sugar and spun sugar.