Lisa Bailey, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2015, presents her Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Roasted White Peaches.
Yield: 24 servings
White Peach Sorbet:
- 7 oz/200 g granulated sugar
- 1.76 oz/50 g powdered glucose
- 8.6 oz/245 g water
- 2.2 lb/1 kg white peach puree
1. Combine sugar, powdered glucose, and water in a pot. Bring to a boil and then pour over puree. Burr mix and store in walk-in overnight to mature.
2. Process in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Buttermilk Panna Cotta:
- 18 gelatin sheets
- 40.9 oz/1160 g heavy cream
- 21.16 oz/600 g granulated sugar
- 4 tsp vanilla paste
- 57.28 oz/1624 g buttermilk
1. Bloom gelatin.
2. Bring heavy cream to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and add sugar, vanilla and drained gelatin. Whisk until dissolved. Whisk in cold buttermilk. Pour into molds and set in refrigerator (freeze if unmolding).
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 14.25 oz/404 g unsalted butter, cubed
- 14.25 oz/404 g granulated sugar
- 0.14 oz/4 g salt
- 5.6 oz/160 g pastry flour
- 10.5 oz/300 g baked sablé Breton, ground
- 10.5 oz/300 g pecan pieces
1. Scrape vanilla beans into sugar, then mix with hands to disperse seeds.
2. Cream together butter, sugar and salt, scraping down bowl as necessary. Reduce speed to low and add flour, crumbs and pecans; mix just until combined. Break dough into pieces and sprinkle onto a parchment lined sheet pan. Chill for 1 hour.
3. Bake in a convection oven at 325°F for 8 minutes. Toss with a spatula and finish baking until golden brown. Toss again and cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Roasted White Peaches:
- 50 white peaches
- 12 oz/340 g vanilla sugar
- 12 sprigs rosemary
- 4 oz/113 g dried lavender
1. Score peaches with a cross cut at top of each peach. Arrange peaches in a hotel pan and sprinkle with sugar, lavender and rosemary. Roast in 400°F oven for about 15 minutes. Cool.
2. Peel the skin off each peach. Take 24 of the peaches and core the center out; set aside.
3. Cut the remaining peaches into medium dice; set aside.
- 1 qt/946 ml honey
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 oz/30 g lavender
- 4 oz/113 g water
1. In a pot, combine all ingredients. Bring to a simmer; removed from heat. Cover with plastic wrap and let flavors steep for 30 minutes.
2. Strain mixture through fine sieve. In a bowl, gently toss diced peaches in honey marinade.
Unmold Buttermilk Panna Cotta onto desired plate (allow to temper if frozen). Remove core from whole roasted peach and place peach on top of panna cotta. Fill core of peach with marinated diced peach and allow to overflow onto panna cotta. Sprinkle top of peaches with Pecan Crumbly. Drizzle plate with some of the remaining roasting liquid and finish with a scoop or quenelle of White Peach Sorbet on top of crumbly.