Salvatore Martone, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2015, presents his Foret Noire.
Yield: 24 servings
- 3 oz/85 g cherry puree
- 0.77 oz/22 g confectioners’ sugar
- 1 gelatin sheet (gold), bloomed
- 0.17 oz/5 g kirsch concentrate
- 2.5 oz/70 g yogurt
- 4.4 oz/125 g heavy cream, softly whipped
- Griottes (sour cherries in brandy)
- Chocolate discs (2.1”/55 mm)
1. In a saucepan, bring the puree and confectioners’ sugar to a boil. Add the drained gelatin and cool down in ice bath. Stir in kirsch concentrate. When the mixture begins to set, fold in the yogurt and whipped cream.
2. Pipe 0.6 oz/17 g mousse in 2.4”/60 mm sphere molds. Top with 3 griotte cherry halves and then chocolate discs and freeze.
Kirsch Whipped Chantilly:
- 5.3 oz/150 g milk
- 0.77 oz/22 g granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 sheet gelatin (gold), bloomed
- 5.8 oz/165 g heavy cream
- 9.8 oz/280 g kirsch
1. In a saucepan, combine the milk, sugar and vanilla bean and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add the drained gelatin, stirring to dissolve. Pour over the cold cream and kirsch and refrigerate overnight.
2. Whip to soft peaks.
- 4.12 oz/117 g milk
- 4.12 oz/117 g heavy cream
- 1 oz/28 g egg yolks
- 0.81 oz/23 g granulated sugar
- 3 oz/85 g dark chocolate 70%
In a saucepan, heat the milk and cream until just beginning to scald. Meanwhile, in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the yolks and sugar to the ribbon stage. Temper the yolk mixture into the hot milk and cream. Cook, stirring constantly, to 185°F. Pour mixture over chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- 3.5 oz/100 g confectioners’ sugar
- 3.5 oz/100 g almond flour
- 2.1 oz/60 g all-purpose flour
- 0.7 oz/20 g cocoa powder
- 0.07 oz/2 g salt
- 1.9 oz/55 g grapeseed oil
Mix all ingredients together in food processor. Bake at 300°F for 12 minutes.
- 8 oz/225 g granulated sugar
- 8 oz/225 g glucose
- 4 oz/112 g water
- 0.6 oz/18 g gelatin bloomed in 2.5 oz/72 g water
- 5.3 oz/150 g sweetened condensed milk
- 8 oz/225 g Ivoire white milk chocolate, melted
- Red food coloring, as needed
- 3.5 oz/100 g neutral nappage
In saucepan, combine sugar, glucose and water and bring to boil. Add drained gelatin, condensed milk and melted chocolate. Stir slowly so that you don’t incorporate air. Burr mix in the coloring and the nappage. Use at 86°F.
- Cocoa butter and white chocolate mix (50-50)
- Meringue mushroom bases
- Freeze-dried yogurt pieces
- Brandied cherries rolled in pistachio powder
- Marigold micro flowers
- Micro mint
1. Pipe some of the Chantilly into silicone truffle molds, then pipe the Chocolate Cremeux in the center. Freeze, then unmold.
2. Dip in melted cocoa butter and white chocolate mixture at 95°F.
3. Glaze the cherry half dome with Red Glaze and place on top of the mushroom base. Sprinkle with freeze-dried yogurt pieces. Place on plate and garnish with Cocoa Soil, brandied cherry, marigold micro flowers and micro mint.