Thomas Raquel, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2015, presents his Dark Milk Chocolate Milk Chocolate Mousse, Dark Caramel, Candied Peanuts, Warm Malted Caramel.
Yield: 24 servings
Dark Milk Chocolate Mousse:
- 13.2 oz/375 g Jivara milk chocolate
- 3.8 oz/110 g Valrhona P125 Coeur de Guanaja
- 3.5 oz/100 g milk
- 6 oz/172 g heavy cream
- 2.3 oz/65 g egg yolks
- 0.4 oz/12 g gelatin
- 28.35 oz/804 g heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
1. In a mixing bowl, melt Jivara and Valrhona P125 over a water bath and set aside.
2. Create a custard with the milk, cream and yolks. Cook to 180°F. Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Add the gelatin with a hand blender to emulsify; set aside.
3. Fold the whipped cream in in three parts. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe in 3” sphere molds. Freeze overnight.
4. Unmold the spheres then spray with mix below.
Chocolate Spray Mix:
- 8.8 oz/250 g 70% chocolate
- 8.8 oz/250 g cocoa butter
1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Cool to 140°F, then strain.
2. Spray the spheres until fully covered.
- 22.43 oz/636 g heavy cream
- 3.2 oz/91 g malt powder
- 2 Madagascar vanilla beans, split
- 9.6 oz/273 g granulated sugar
1. In a saucepan, heat the cream, malt powder and vanilla beans, ensuring
that the malt powder is properly dispersed.
2. Make a dry caramel with the sugar, cooking it to medium dark.
3. Deglaze with the cream mixture and bring to a boil. Strain, cool and store.
Reserve in a bain marie for service.
- 8.8 oz/250 g peanuts
- 8.8 oz/250 g granulated sugar
- 8.8 oz/250 g water
- 3.5 oz/100 g water
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Create a simple syrup with the water and sugar bring to a boil.
3. Add the peanuts and boil for 20 minutes.
4. Add the remainder of the water, then strain. Place in a half sheet pan lined with a Silpat. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Chocolate Praline Cake:
- 4.7 oz/135 g cake flour
- 4.7 oz/135 g almond flour
- 3.5 oz/100 g cocoa powder
- 0.017 oz/0.5 g baking powder
- 0.17 oz/5 g salt
- 13.6 oz/385 g unsalted butter
- 3.5 oz/100 g praline
- 5.3 oz/150 g honey
- 11.8 oz/335 g granulated sugar
- 10.5 oz/300 g whites
1. Pre-heat the oven to 325°F.
2. Sift together the dry ingredients; set aside.
3. Melt the butter with the praline; set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, create a meringue with the honey, sugar and egg whites. Whip to medium peaks.
5. Fold a third of the dry ingredients and half of the butter-praline mixture into the meringue and repeat the process until fully incorporated.
6. Bake in half sheet pan lined with parchment paper for 15- 20 minutes.
7. Cool and store.
- 4.4 oz/125 g granulated sugar
- 0.88 oz/25 g glucose
- 0.88 oz/25 g unsalted butter
- 4.4 oz/125 g Soufflatine (puffed cereal balls)
- 0.35 oz/10 g salt
1. Prepare a half sheet pan lined with a Silpat.
2. Combine the sugar, glucose and butter in a medium-size pan and place over medium heat. Stir the mixture until caramelized. Fold in Soufflatine. Spread onto the sheet pan and cool. Store in an airtight container and hold for service.
Milk Chocolate Branches:
- 10.5 oz/300 g milk chocolate
1. Prepare an ice bath in a deep hotel pan.
2. Temper the chocolate, and cool. Transfer to a piping bag and cut the tip.
Pipe into the ice bath and create free-form organic shapes. Pull the branches out of the ice bath and store in plastic containers. Refrigerate and hold for service.
1.Place an ounce of Malt Caramel in a cup and microwave for 15 seconds.
2. Starting on a clean flat plate, with a spoon, cut a couple of small pieces of the Praline Cake.
3. Place 6 to 8 pieces of Candied Peanuts on top and around the
cake, then a couple of chunks of the Candied Soufflatine next to the peanuts.
4. Place the sphere in the middle. Using a pair of tweezers, place a couple of pieces of branches around the sphere. Serve with the warm caramel.