William Werner, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2015, presents his Earl Grey Blueberry Tart.
Yield: 24 servings
- 14 oz/400 g all-purpose flour
- 0.21 oz/6 g baking powder
- 0.07 oz/2 g salt
- 7 oz/200 g brown sugar
- 7 oz/200 g unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 2.1 oz/60 g molasses
- 0.5 oz/15 g milk, room temperature
- 1.76 oz/50 g eggs, room temperature
- Cocoa butter, melted
1. In stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, butter and molasses until crumbly in texture. Add milk and eggs and mix until dough comes together. Sheet dough to 2 mm and freeze.
2. Cut into 3.75” x 2.75” rectangles on Silform mold #1320-C21, lining a perforated sheet pan, and allow frozen rectangles to come to room temperature and take the shape of the mold. Place tray in freezer for 10 minutes. Bake at 315°F for 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
3. Carefully remove and brush with melted cocoa butter.
Earl Grey Namelaka:
- 0.5 oz/15 g Earl Grey tea leaves
- 3.5 oz/100 g milk
- 0.09 oz/2.5 g powdered gelatin, 220-bloom
- 0.5 oz/15 g water
- 0.17 oz/5 g glucose
- 6 oz/170 g Valrhona Opalys white chocolate
- 0.17 oz/5 g cocoa butter
- 7 oz/200 g heavy cream
1. Cold-infuse Earl Grey tea in milk for 12 hours.
2. Strain milk through a fine-mesh sieve and rescale milk, adding more milk if necessary.
3. Bloom gelatin in water.
4. Melt chocolate to 113°F. In saucepan, warm milk, glucose and bloomed gelatin to 149°F and add to chocolate, mixing until smooth. Blend in cold cream and let crystallize for 12 hours at 40°F.
- 14 oz/400 g yogurt powder
- 3.5 oz/100 g fine granulated sugar
- 0.07 oz/2 g fine sea salt
- 17.6 oz/500 g Yogurt Coating (above)
- 17.6 oz/500 g hazelnuts
- 3.5 oz/100 g water
- 1.76 oz/50 g granulated sugar
- 0.17 oz/5 g cocoa butter
1. Place Yogurt Coating in a full size hotel pan.
2. Place water and sugar in a saucepan. Put hazelnut on a sheet pan and warm in 315°F oven for 10 minutes. At the 5-minute mark, bring the water and sugar to a boil over medium-high heat. When the hazelnuts have been in the oven for 10 minutes, and the bubbles in the sugar syrup are slow, popping ones, add the warm nuts to the syrup. Turn off the heat. Stir quickly until the syrup crystallizes, coating the nuts in a white fuzz. Remove the hazelnuts from the pot and clean the pot of any sugar residue. Return the hazelnuts to the clean pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until they are golden brown. Turn off the heat and add the cocoa butter, stirring constantly until the cocoa butter is completely melted and the hazelnuts are evenly coated. Immediately pour the hazelnuts into the hotel pan filled with the coating and toss to coat evenly and prevent clumping.
- Lightly glazed fresh blueberries
- Blueberries tossed in Yogurt Coating
- Crystallized violets
- Crushed freeze-dried blueberries
Pipe a cylinder of Earl Grey Namelaka in base of tart shell. Cover cream alternately with lightly glazed fresh blueberries and blueberries tossed in Yogurt Coating. Place hazelnuts in between the different blueberries. Garnish with crystallized violets and crushed freeze dried blueberries.