Hazelnut gelato, dark chocolate cream, milk chocolate crunch, pistachio cake and blood orange gel by Kei Hasegawa, Pastry Chef of Matsuhisa in Beverly Hills, CA.
- 30.15 oz/855 g milk
- 8.4 oz/240 g heavy cream
- 7 oz/200 g fresh ginger
- 0.17 oz/5 g Nielsen Massey vanilla paste
- 2.6 oz/75 g dextrose powder
- 2.6 oz/75 g inverted sugar
- 3.5 oz/100 g granulated sugar
- 2.8 oz/80 g PreGel Maximapan 150
1. In a saucepan, heat milk, cream, ginger and vanilla paste. Add the dextrose powder, inverted sugar, granulated sugar and Maximapan 150 at 113°F. Heat to 185°F, then strain and cool.
2. Process in ice cream machine.
Dark Chocolate Cream:
- 8.8 oz/250 g milk
- 8.8 oz/250 g heavy cream
- 7 oz/200 g granulated sugar
- 0.14 oz/4 g orange zest
- 3.5 oz/100 g egg yolks
- 8 oz/225 g deZaan Temptation 64 chocolate
In a saucepan, combine milk, cream, sugar and orange zest and bring to a boil. Temper in egg yolks and heat, stirring, to 185°F. Strain onto deZaan Temptation 64 and emulsify with immersion blender. Refrigerate.
Milk Chocolate Crunch:
- 7 oz/200 g PreGel Krocco Milk Arabeschi Cereal Crunch
- 7 oz/200 g DeZaan Intense 35% milk chocolate, melted
1. Combine ingredients and spread onto a sheet pan lined with a silicone mat. Refrigerate.
2. Break into small pieces.
- 4.4 oz/125 g almond flour
- 3.5 oz/100 g confectioners’ sugar
- 0.35 oz/10 g cornstarch
- 6.3 oz/180 g egg whites
- 1.76 oz/50 g PreGel pistachio paste
- 1.76 oz/50 g heavy cream
- 0.07 oz/2 g orange zest
Mix together almond flour, confectioners’ sugar, cornstarch and egg whites until a paste forms. Add pistachio paste, cream and orange zest. Pour into silicone molds and bake at 356°F for 10 minutes.
Blood Orange Gel:
- 12.3 oz/350 g Capfruit Blood Orange Puree
- 0.1 oz/3 g agar agar
- 1.4 oz/40 g glucose
- 1.4 oz/40 g granulated sugar
- ½ Nielsen Massey vanilla bean
1. In saucepan, mix sugar and agar agar well and add blood orange puree. Bring to a boil. Strain and refrigerate until set.
2. Transfer to blender and process to form gel. Pour into squeeze bottle for service.
- Fresh orange segments
- Bachelor buttons
- Lemon basil
- Freeze-dried raspberries
Spread spoonful of Dark Chocolate Cream on plate. Place 2 Pistachio Cake bars on plate. Pipe 3-4 dots of Blood Orange Gel on plate. Garnish with 2 pieces of Milk Chocolate Crunch. Scoop Hazelnut Gelato on top of Dark Chocolate Cream. Garnish with orange segments, blackberries, bachelor buttons, lemon basil and raspberries.