Graham cracker sablé, opalys vanilla cremeux, cucumber melon gelée, blueberry white chocolate cream, candied blueberries and cacao nib crunch by Michael Craig, Pastry Chef of St. Regis Atlanta in Atlanta, GA.
Yield: 16 servings
Graham Cracker Sablé:
- 8 oz/225 g unsalted butter
- 3.8 oz/110 g granulated sugar
- 1.48 oz/42 g molasses
- 1.76 oz/50 g whole eggs
- 3 oz/85 g all-purpose flour
- 8.8 oz/250 g whole wheat flour
- 0.07 oz/2 g salt
- 0.07 oz/2 g ground cinnamon
1. Cream together butter, sugar, and molasses. Add eggs, scrape bowl and mix to combine.
2. Sift all the dry ingredients together and add to the butter mixture, mixing until combined. Roll dough out, cut into 1 ½” x 4 ¾” rectangles, and bake on a lined sheet pan at 325°F for 10 minutes.
Opalys Vanilla Cremeux:
- 17.6 oz/500 g heavy cream
- 1 Tahitian vanilla bean
- 1.5 oz/45 g granulated sugar
- 6 oz/170 g egg yolks
- 13.2 oz/375 g Valrhona Opalys white chocolate
- 0.17 oz/5 g gelatin sheets
1. Scald heavy cream with vanilla bean.
2. Combine sugar and yolks; once cream is simmering, temper into the yolk sugar mixture. Return to a low flame and cook to 170°F. Pour over white chocolate and stir. Add gelatin and stir to dissolve. Once homogenous, pour into 1/4 sheet frame and chill to set.
3. Cut into 1 ¼” x 4 1/3” rectangles.
Cucumber Melon Gelée:
- 1 oz/30 g granulated sugar
- 0.1 oz/3 g agar agar
- 5.3 oz/150 g cucumber juice
- 5.3 oz/150 g honeydew melon juice
Combine sugar with agar agar. Combine half the total juice with sugar and agar mixture. Bring to a simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add remaining half of the juice. Pour into a 1/4 sheet pan and chill to set.
Blueberry White Chocolate Cream:
- 17.6 oz/500 g heavy cream, divided
- 1.6 oz/45 g glucose
- 5.6 oz/160 g Valrhona Opalys white chocolate
- 5.3 oz/150 g blueberry puree
1. In a saucepan, warm 5.3 oz/150 g of the heavy cream and glucose to a simmer.
2. Pour over white chocolate and blueberry puree, then emulsify.
3. Combine with remaining 12.3 oz/350 g heavy cream and stir to homogenize, then chill for at least 4 hours.
- 7 oz/200 g granulated sugar
- 3.5 oz/100 g water
- 10.5 oz/300 g blueberries
1. Heat water and sugar together until sugar is dissolved. Flash the blueberries in the syrup, then immediately remove and strain.*
2. Spread flat on a sheet pan to cool in walk-in.
*Note: DO NOT leave the blueberries in the syrup mixture too long, or they will burst.
Cacao Nib Crunch:
- 7 oz/200 g Valrhona Opalys white chocolate
- 0.35 oz/10 g cocoa butter
- 2.6 oz/75 g caramelized cacao nibs
1. Melt white chocolate and cocoa butter together over a double boiler. Stir in cacao nibs, spread into a 1/4 sheet frame and allow to crystalize.
2. Cut into 1 ½” x 4 ¾” rectangles.
- 1 ½” x 4 3/4” white chocolate plaquettes
- Borage blooms
- Cucumber with bloom
1. Stack components starting with Graham Cracker Sablé, then Opalys Vanilla Cremeux, followed by Cacao Nib Crunch. top with 4cmx12cm white chocolate plaquette and a quenelle of the blueberry cream.
2. Whip fully chilled Blueberry White Chocolate Cream and pipe on top of Cacao Nib Crunch. Top with white chocolate plaquette and a quenelle of the blueberry cream. Garnish with Candied Blueberries, Cucumber Melon Gelée, sorrel, borage blooms, and cucumber with bloom.