Raspberry sakura compote, orange-scented tofu cheesecake, Kinako crumble and raspberry & black sesame meringue sticks by Julian Perrigo-Jimenez, Pastry Chef of Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas, NV.
Yield: 15 servings
Raspberry Sakura Compote:
- 3 pt/1.6 lt raspberries
- 5.3 oz/150 g granulated sugar, divided
- 1 oz/27 g apple pectin
- 0.21 oz/6 g Sakura extract (cherry blossom)
Place the raspberries in a small pot over medium heat and begin stirring. Add half the sugar and continue to stir so that the raspberries don’t scorch on the bottom of the pan. Mix together the remaining sugar with the pectin. Once the raspberries have broken down, add the pectin mix and Sakura extract, and continue to stir until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and let it cool down. Pipe a thin layer in bottom of each shot glass.
Orange-scented Tofu Cheesecake:
- 0.7 oz/21 g gelatin
- 8.8 oz/252 g egg whites (fresh)
- 15.6 oz/444 g granulated sugar, divided
- 2 oz/57 g water
- 12 oz/343 g cream cheese
- 1 oz/27 g vanilla extract
- 13 oz/370 g soy milk
- 0.7 oz/20 g orange zest
- 13 oz/367 g heavy cream, whipped to medium peaks
1. Bloom the gelatin.
2. Whip the egg whites with 4 oz/112 g of the sugar to medium peaks. Meanwhile, combine the remaining 11.7 oz/332 g sugar and the water and cook the syrup to 235°F. Pour hot syrup into whipping egg whites.
3. Combine the cream cheese, vanilla extract, soy milk, orange zest and gelatin and place in a bain-marie. Once melted, place in ice bath to chill; burr mix and strain. Mix should still be loose. Fold the meringue with the cream cheese mixture, and fold in the cream at 95°F. Pipe into shot glass (on top of compote) right away, before it sets up.
- 8.1 oz/230 g unsalted butter, cold
- 12 oz/342 g brown sugar
- 0.25 oz/7 g ground cinnamon
- 15.16 oz/430 g all-purpose flour
- 1 oz/30 g Kinako powder (soybean powder)
1. Cream the butter with the sugar and cinnamon.
2. Combine the flour with the Kinako powder and gradually add to the butter mixture. Incorporate well, then pass it through a glazing screen to form crumbs.
3. Bake in a 320°F oven until golden brown. Top off the shot glass with the crumble.
Raspberry & Black Sesame Meringue Sticks:
- 5.3 oz/150 g egg whites
- 5.3 oz/150 g granulated sugar
- Raspberry powder, to taste
- Red food coloring, as needed
- 5.3 oz/150 g confectioners’ sugar
- Black sesame seeds, to taste
Whip the egg whites with the granulated sugar to stiff peaks. Fold in the raspberry powder and red food coloring. Fold in the confectioners’ sugar. Pipe with #802 round tip in long strips on a Silpat-lined sheet. Bake at 200°F for about 3 hours, or until completely dried.
Break irregular pieces of the Raspberry and Black Sesame Meringue sticks on top of each dessert to decorate the top and add crunchy texture.