Alunga namelaka, praline bizchoco, yuzu curd, praliné sablé, yuzu raspberry pipette and chocolate sphere by Kriss Harvey, Executive Pastry Chef of SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills, CA.
Yield: 12 servings
- 0.35 oz/10 g gelatin
- 1.4 oz/40 g water (to hydrate gelatin)
- 14 oz/400 g milk
- 0.7 oz/20 g glucose syrup
- 28.2 oz/800 g heavy cream
- 24.7 oz/700 g Cacao Barry Alunga™ milk chocolate
Bloom gelatin in water. Warm the milk, glucose and cream together. Pour over the Alunga™ chocolate and hydrated gelatin and blend with immersion blender. Allow to cool overnight and whip up in mixer.
- 10.5 oz/300 g Hazelnut Praliné LeNôtre
- 10.5 oz/300 g egg whites
Mix the two ingredients and place in ISI canister. Give two charges and squirt into a prepared paper cup. Microwave for 18 seconds and store upside down until service.
- 9.5 oz/270 g granulated sugar, divided
- 0.14 oz/4 g agar
- 9.7 oz/275 g yuzu juice
- 9.5 oz/270 g eggs
- 12.3 oz/350 g unsalted butter
Blend 3.5 oz/100 g of the sugar with the agar agar and sheer it into the yuzu juice. Bring to a boil and make a liaison with the eggs. Bring all back to a hard boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and place in blender. Blend in the cold butter and strain. Allow to set in cooler. When agar agar is fully set, blend again to make a crémeux.
- 25.4 oz/720 g unsalted butter, softened
- 12.2 oz/345 g granulated sugar
- 8.4 oz/240 g milk, warmed
- 12.7 oz/360 g hazelnut praliné LeNôtre
- 41.26 oz/1,170 g all-purpose flour
- 0.5 oz/15 g sea salt
1. Cream the butter and the sugar together.
2. Warm the milk and pour over the praliné . Emulsify to a shiny paste.
3. Using the creaming method, add the praliné emulsion to the butter and sugar mixture, then add the flour and salt. Sheet to 3 mm thick, then use an 80 mm circle cutter to cut out rounds, and bake 320°F on Silpat-lined sheet.
Yuzu Raspberry Pipette:
- 17.6 oz/500 g granulated sugar
- Peel of 2 oranges
- Peel of 2 lemons
- 13.8 oz/392 g yuzu juice, warm
- 4.4 lb/2 kg raspberry pulp
Dry caramelize the sugar with the peels to 375°F. Deglaze with the warm yuzu juice. Add the raspberry pulp and allow to sit off heat for 1 hour. Strain through a china cap and vacuum into pipettes.
- Tempered Silver Jewel Line Chef Rubber Silver Cocoa Butter
- Tempered Orange Carnelian Jewel Line Chef Rubber Cocoa Butter
Apply orange cocoa butter to sphere mold with gloved finger. After the first color is dry, spray the tempered silver. Allow to dry. Line molds with tempered 64% Extra Bitter Guayaquil chocolate and tap out. Cut holes in bottom and top.
Whip the Alunga™ Namelaka and pipe in half of sphere. Attach to sablé and pipe a layer of yuzu crémeux. Sprinkle on some freeze dried raspberry then attach a portion of the microwaved cake. Apply the top half of the sphere. Insert a pipette and serve.