Chocolate waffle, chocolate praline, dark chocolate cream, Alkermes dark chocolate sponge cake, milk chocolate mousse by Simone De Castro, Pastry Chef of Apicius International School of Hospitality at Florence University of the Arts in Florence, Italy.
Yield: 24 servings
Alkermes Chocolate Sponge Cake:
- 32 oz/908 g eggs
- 0.56 oz/16 g salt
- Alkermes liqueur, to taste
- 6.3 oz/180 g granulated sugar
- 12.5 oz/356 g unsalted butter
- 6 oz/172 g whole milk
- 8 oz/228 g all-purpose flour
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the eggs, salt, liqueur and sugar until pale and doubled in size.
2. Melt the butter.
3. Pour the milk into the egg mixture and continue mixing. Fold in the flour, followed by the butter. Pour into an ISI canister and charge with one N2O cartridge. Shake vigorously. Spray into paper cups and bake for 45 seconds on high power in the microwave.
- 10.5 oz/300 g heavy cream
- 10.5 oz/300 g dark chocolate
1. Heat the cream.
2. Pour over the dark chocolate and mix with the immersion blender.
- 28.2 oz/800 g heavy cream
- 28.2 oz/800 g milk chocolate
- 28.2 oz/800 g heavy whipping cream
- 0.5 oz/14 g gelatin sheets
1. Bring the cream to a boil.
2. Pour over the chocolate and mix until smooth. Let the ganache come to room temperature.
3. Bloom the gelatin, then melt and fold into the ganache.
4. Whip the cream to 60% soft peaks. Fold the cream into the chocolate mixture.
Mou Praline Cream:
- 2.5 oz/70 g water
- 19.25 oz/546 g granulated sugar, divided
- 12.3 oz/350 g milk
- 12.3 oz/350 g heavy cream
- 8.6 oz/245 g egg yolks
- 9.4 oz/266 g granulated sugar
- 3 oz/84 g cornstarch
- 3.5 oz/100 g praline
- 0.5 oz/14 g gelatin, bloomed
1. In a pot, place the water and 14 oz/400g sugar and begin to cook the caramel.
2. In another pot, bring the milk and the cream to a boil.
3. Whip the egg yolks with the cornstarch and praline and remaining 5.15 oz/146 g sugar until pale and doubled in size. Pour into the milk mixture and mix until the mixture thickens. Mix in a food processor and add the caramel.Mix until smooth. Add the drained gelatin once the mixture is below 212°F.
- 3.5 oz/100 g unsalted butter
- 3.5 oz/100 g all-purpose flour
- 3.5 oz/100 g cocoa powder
- 7 oz/200 g egg whites
- 1.76 oz/50 g water
Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until blended. Pipe small, olive-sized amounts onto a silicone baking mat. Flatten the waffles with a spatula and bake in oven at 212°F until done.
Arrange the elements as you like on a plate. Garnish the plate with a few drops of the Alkermes liqueur.