Hazelnut financier, ceylon cinnamon bavaroise, pomegranate coulis and pomegranate gelée by Ghaya Oliveira, Executive Pastry Chef of Daniel in NYC.
Yield: 24 servings
- 10.8 oz/306 g confectioners’ (10X) sugar
- 2 oz/57 g almond flour
- 4 oz/116 g all-purpose flour
- 0.1 oz/3 g baking powder
- 0.1 oz/3 g salt
- 9.17 oz/260 g egg whites
- 6 oz/169 g brown butter
- 1 oz/30 g inverted sugar
Combine the dry ingredients and add the egg whites, brown butter and inverted sugar. Bake in half-sphere molds at 330°F (165° C) for 14 minutes.
Ceylon Cinnamon Bavaroise:
- 13.12 oz/372 g whole milk
- 0.85 oz/24 g Ceylon cinnamon
- 4.8 oz/137 g egg yolks
- 2.7 oz/78 g granulated sugar
- 0.5 oz/16 g gelatin
- 13.12 oz/372 g heavy cream
1. Heat the milk and infuse with the Ceylon cinnamon for 30 minutes. Make an anglaise with the infused milk, then add the gelatin.
2. While cooling, whip the cream to medium peaks and fold it in when the anglaise is cool.
- 22 oz/622 g pomegranate juice concentrate
- 11 oz/311 g water
- 0.38 oz/11 g apple pectin
- 2 oz/56 g granulated sugar
Bring the pomegranate juice concentrate and water to a boil. Add the apple pectin and sugar; strain and cool.
- 18.5 oz/524 g pomegranate juice
- 9.24 oz/262 g water
- 4 oz/112 g glucose
- 0.35 oz/10 g thermoreversible pectin
- 2.3 oz/65 g granulated sugar
- 0.9 oz/26 g lemon juice
Bring the pomegranate juice concentrate, water and glucose to a boil. Add the thermoreversible pectin and sugar. Bring back to a boil. Remove from heat, add lemon juice and cool in half-sphere molds in the freezer.
Remove a small scoop from the financier and fill with liquid praline and crushed hazelnuts. Match each financier to a gelée and keep frozen. Pour the bavaroise into the bottom of a whole sphere mold and add the financier-gelée sphere. Add the top of the mold, fill it with the remaining bavaroise and set in the freezer. Dip the sphere in white chocolate mixed with cocoa butter and spray with red cocoa butter. Create the top by cutting a crown shape from red fondant. Brush the plate with the coulis and add gold leaf and fresh pomegranate seeds.