Meringues by Katzie Guy-Hamilton, Corporate Pastry Chef of Max Brenner.
Yield: 20 servings
- 7 oz/200 g egg whites, room temperature
- 7 oz/200 g superfine granulated sugar, divided
- 7 oz/200 g sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 260°F. Beat egg whites and begin adding superfine sugar when they are foamy. Continue adding sugar in increments as meringue develops. Add confectioners’ sugar in increments. Beat meringue until stiff peaks form. Pipe 1 1/3” (3.5 cm) disks of meringue on parchment lined sheet trays. Bake at 260°F for 25-35 minutes, until crispy. Store cooled dried meringues at room temperature until ready for assembly.
- 28.2 oz/800 g cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 oz/28 g superfine granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8.8 oz/250 g gingerbread cookie crumbs (dried and ground)
- 3.5 oz/100 g raspberry jam
Whip heavy cream with sugar and vanilla until very stiff peaks form. Pipe whipped cream on top of bottom meringue. Place dollop of raspberry jam on top of cream. Top with additional meringue disk. Cover meringue sandwich with whipped cream using piping bag and an offset spatula. Roll meringue in ground gingerbread cookies. Chill until ready for plating.