Episodes 1 & 2: Meet the Chefs and a Preview of Mystery Casting Challenge.
Watch episodes of The Chicago Restaurant Pastry Competition by visiting www.JMPurePastry.com or joining the CRPC Facebook page.
EPISODES 1 & 2: CHALLENGE OUTLINE
The point breaks-downs for the three challenges are as follows:
- Mystery Casting Challenge (15 points total)
- Signature Plated Dessert (55 points total)
- Artisan Confectionery Challenge (30 points total)
Points are awarded by the tasting judges based on taste, originality, and use of ingredient. Creativity is highly valued in this competition and will be rewarded.
DRAWING OF ADVANTAGES
At the Saturday Load-in, there will be a drawing that determines 1) Chef Finalists station & start time 2) plate selection and 3) ingredient selection order. Start times are staggered by approximately 40 minutes. The Ingredient Selection will indicate which ingredients a chef must use for the Mystery Casting Challenge. These selections take place in front of the camera on Saturday. Chefs will have access to some of these ingredients ahead of time, to allow them to create their recipe templates before the competition.
MYSTERY CASTING CHALLENGE
Chefs will design a composed (plated) demi dessert that must be created from ingredients selected in the Ingredient Selection, silicone molds courtesy of The Chicago School of Mold Making and food items from a Mystery Box.
1. Each Chef Finalist will create eight Mystery Casting Challenge Plates, displayed on a plate provided by Steelite International.
2. Chefs will design a multi-component dessert that will consist of two to three cast (molded) items. Chefs may only use the molds provided to them in the Mystery Box they receive on Competition Day. There will be three molds in each Mystery Box. Each Box will have different molds.
3. A Mystery Box will be presented to each competitor at the start of the competition. Chefs must use the provided silicone molds, the Surprise Ingredients in the box and their Ingredient Selection items.
4. Ratios for the dessert must be submitted for the Mystery Casting Challenge; taking into account that some ingredients that will be selected on competition Saturday.
5. One ingredient from each category (see list below) must be used in this dessert. Once an ingredient is selected from the pantry, the other competitors may not use the ingredient.
6. The list of categories for the Mystery Casting Challenge pantry is as follows:
- Nielsen Massey Vanilla and extracts
- PreGel Nut Pastes & Gelato ingredients
- deZaan Gourmet Chocolate
- Capfruit Purees
- Koerner Company ingredients
7. The theme for the dessert will be: Freaks of the Industry. Desserts should be outlandish and unique in their ingredient sourcing/combination, while maintaining the finesse and finishing of a fine dining dessert.
8. Recipes for the Mystery Casting Challenge must be submitted by the due date. It is understood by the judges this is a template for what each chef has designed and will change when the Mystery Box is introduced.
The Chefs’ Recipes from The Gelato Mystery Challenge:
Find 'CRPC 4: Freaks of the Industry - Episodes 1 & 2' recipes in the DessertProfessional.com Recipe section or click the link below.