Episode 4: Artisan Confectionery Challenge.
EPISODE 4: ARTISAN CONFECTONARY CHALLENGE
The spirit of this challenge reveals the artisan quality of fine chocolate.
- Chefs will create 2 confections: a creative caramel and/or nougat and a unique chocolate bonbon. Chefs must produce 36 pieces of each to display on a Showpiece Stand.
- Chefs will create a Showpiece Stand using Pastry Show Kits provided by The Chicago School of Mold Making (CSMM). Caramels/nougats and bonbons will be displayed on the stand and also on a Steelite plate provided to you at the competition.
- Chefs must use deZaan Gourmet Chocolate for this challenge. All chocolate will be provided for you. deZaan Gourmet will provide samples for your testing and we will have the full deZaan line on hand during the competition.
- Each chef will have access to Waring Commercial chocolate melters filled with Temptation 64 Dark Chocolate and Obsession 30 White Chocolate.
- Chefs must use white chocolate, milk chocolate and dark chocolate to create their Showpiece Stands.
- Chocolate may not be sprayed with cocoa butter, luster dust or any other ingredient. The design should show the true beauty and character of fine chocolate. Note: The same rule applies for the bonbon, however, air brush will be permitted. (A dedicated spray area or box may be required.)
- Chefs will create either a creative caramel or creative nougat. Caramels and nougats should display originality and intense flavor. This item will be molded in the Caramel Bites mold provided by CSMM. (This item will arrive with the Show Kits). This item will be presented wrapped in a candy wrapper provided by the Chef Finalist.
- Chefs will also create a chocolate bonbon using a polycarbonate mold sponsored by Pavoni Bonbon must use at least 2 deZaan chocolates, exotic spice and fruit flavor.
- Bonbon may not be sprayed with cocoa butter, luster dust or any other ingredient. The design should show the true beauty and character of fine chocolate. Air brush will be permitted, but not required. (A dedicated spray area or box may be required.)
- Bonbons will be finished with an elaborate garnish, i.e. chocolate lash, spiral, etc.
- Recipes for this challenged must be submitted by the due date and follow the CRPC sample dessert recipe format. All recipes MUST include: dessert title, chef, ingredients, and ratios in grams, step by step method of production, and a list of the steps of assembly.
There will be four additional stands for the Chef Finalists to display with one piece of each confection for the judges. The remainder may be used for photography and/or for the Award Reception.
Chefs will leave the displayed Artisan Confections on plates with the Chocolate Structures they have created using the two Show Kit mats sent to them on their station.
Judging for these items will take place at the table after the Chef Finalists have departed the kitchen. The stands will then be moved to the side stations for display during the Award Reception.
Watch for updates for The Chicago Restaurant Pastry Competition by joining our Facebook page or visiting: www.JMPurePastry.com.
Find 'CRPC 4: Freaks of the Industry - Episode 4' recipes in the DessertProfessional.com Recipe section or click the links below.